Thursday, October 22, 2015

Replacing dead plants

I had part of one of my winter gem boxwood bushes die back last winter. Boxwoods are an evergreen and if they do not get enough water from the roots into the leaves even during winter, they will die. That was the case with one of mine. It partially died, not the whole plant, and I left it in to see if it would grow back, which it did not! So I replaced it this week with a spare plant that I had growing in the back yard. I needed to wait until now the growing season was over before attempting to transplant the bush to increase the odds of a successful transplant.
 This is where I took out the 1/2 dead winter gem boxwood bush. It left a gaping hole in the hedge.
 Here is a close-up of the hole I dug for the transplant boxwood from the backyard.
 This round plant is carefully dug up trying to keep a good root ball (dirt tight around the roots).
 Here is how the finished result after transplanting. It is slightly shorter than the original hedge but it should fill in quickly next spring when the growing season takes off.
A different perspective of the hedge from the street.

No comments: